Top

The Internet And Interpersonal Relationships

The Internet And Interpersonal Relationships

The Internet And Interpersonal Relationships. The Internet has changed the way we interact with our family, friends, and life partners. Now everyone is connected to everyone else in a simpler, more accessible, and more immediate way; we can conduct part of our relationships using our laptops, smart phones, and tablets. Today, relationships are formed and maintained through online and offline means. The Internet makes it possible for an unlimited number of people to communicate with one another freely and quickly, in an open way. Just a century ago, this was unimaginable. An increasing number of couples come together, stay together, or break up with the aid—or even as a consequence—of social communication tools. There are even apps and social networks out there that are purposely designed to help people get together. Social media.

However, using the Internet for personal relationships has disadvantages. Facial expressions are often obscured even when web cameras are used. It is also difficult to know one’s personality and character through online communication. Thus, the Internet is limited in showing emotions, personality, character, facial expressions, humor, and other human characteristics.

Studies show that only less than 10% of communication is based on the written or verbal word, the other 90% is based on nonverbal body language. This tells us that it is when we can hear a tone of voice, look the other in the eyes that we’re able to know whether they are fine” or unhappy.

The Internet allows people to mask physical appearance. The nature of online communication allows people to focus more on the message instead of the way a person looks.

The Internet And Interpersonal Relationships. This is where social media complicates the issue.  Anyone can hide behind the text, email, Facebook post or a tweet and project any image they want. They can create any illusion of their choosing. They can be whoever they want to be. This presents an odd paradox. With all the powerful social technologies at our fingertips, we are more connected – and potentially more disconnected – than ever before.

Online communication is severely limited in a sense it can only convey an estimated 40% to 50% which can lead to misunderstandings and miscommunications leading to embarrassing situations.

With more than half the world’s population online one would assume communication and be maintaining relationships would be much easier and better, but are we communicating? With so much communication context stripped away, we are now attempting to forge relationships and make decisions based on videos, messages like text tweets and posts filled with emoticons. This may or may not be accurate representations of the truth.

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This